click or tap image to resize
This photograph was published on Jan 22nd, 1949 (1949-01-22)
Photograph Number: 1.04-1546.01
1.04-1546.01. John C. Wyatt Lexington Herald-Leader photographs. University of Kentucky Libraries. Accessed September 19, 2019. https://lhlphotoarchive.org/ark:/16417/th76tqc40b58m
John C. Wyatt photographs
Wyatt, John C.
Lexington Leader (Lexington, Ky. : Daily)
Lexington Herald (Firm)
274 Cubic Feet
Health facilities -- Kentucky -- Lexington.
Lexington (Ky.) -- Photographs.
Associations, institutions, etc. -- Kentucky -- Lexington.
Transportation -- Kentucky -- Lexington.
Photographs -- Negatives.
Lexington (Ky.) -- Social life and customs.
Recreation -- Kentucky -- Lexington
Sports -- Kentucky -- Lexington.
Agriculture -- Kentucky -- Lexington.
Lexington (Ky.) -- Politics and government.
Business districts -- Kentucky -- Lexington.
Lexington (Ky.) -- History -- 20th century.
Industries -- Kentucky -- Lexington.
Tobacco industry -- Kentucky -- Lexington.
Cities and towns -- Growth -- Kentucky -- Lexington
Education -- Kentucky -- Lexington.
City & town life -- Kentucky -- Lexington.
Historic buildings -- Kentucky -- Lexington.
Horse racing -- Kentucky -- Lexington.
Lexington Leader (Lexington, Ky. : Daily)
University of Kentucky
[Identification of item], John C. Wyatt Lexington Herald-Leader photographs, 1936-1990,
2004AV001, Special Collections and Digital Programs, University of Kentucky Libraries,
University of Kentucky Special Collections Research Center
The origins of the Lexington Herald-Leader can be traced back over 130 years to the Lexington Daily Press. Its descendant, the Morning Herald, was first published January 1, 1895 and became known as the Lexington Herald in 1905. Another large circulating newspaper during this time was the Kentucky Leader (formed by a group of Fayette County Republicans in 1888) which eventually became known as the Lexington Leader in 1901.
In 1937, the owner of the Leader, John G. Stoll, bought the Herald, and both daily papers were published concurrently (the Herald in the morning and the Leader in the afternoon) for the next 46 years. The newspapers had a combined Sunday edition, but their editorial policies remained quite different. The Leader was a Republican, society-based evening edition, and the Herald a more political, heavily Democratic morning edition.
In 1973, the newspapers were purchased by the Knight-Ridder Corporation and in 1983 were merged into a single, morning paper that is still published as The Lexington Herald-Leader. The coverage of the newspaper has grown over the years and while its focus has always been on the Lexington Metropolitan area (including 7 additional counties) it presently circulates in 78 of 120 counties throughout central and
For nearly 44 years the collection was cared for by John C. Wyatt (1928-2005), who became a Lexington Leader photographer in 1946, was the chief photographer for many years, and retired from the Lexington Herald-Leader in 1990. He not only participated in the creation of this visual resource but he was also responsible for the organization and intellectual control of the collection. John C. Wyatt established and maintained the collection's original organizational scheme.
The John C. Wyatt photographs (LHL) consist of an estimated 2 million unique photographic negatives spanning the years 1939-2001. The collection also contains associated newspaper clippings, job sheets, and hand-written photographers' notes. The LHL photographs are an unparalleled source of photographic evidence of the many historical, cultural, and industrial changes that have shaped Lexington and its surrounding region. The scope of the collection highlights the day to day activities of Kentuckians. It follows the changing urban landscape of Lexington, the agricultural, tobacco and horse racing industries, key national events such as World War II and Vietnam, as well as notable regional and national figures. It is the most extensive, single collection of still photographic images documenting Lexington's 20th Century history in existence.
Collection is open for research by appointment only.
Copyright restrictions apply.
Persistent Link for this Record: https://lhlphotoarchive.org/ark:/16417/th76tqc40b58m
There are no photographs in your list.